What the Heck is This?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by punk-a-doodle, Nov 6, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    So, I just purchased this:

[​IMG]

I'm making a crazy scientific flask ant farm for my husband's birthday, and this will be the center piece of it all. I know this is a round scientific flask...distillation flask I think...but I've never seen those little arm-ish things around the base. Can anyone help me out here? I'd like to be able to tell him what those are for when he asks. XD The indents on the side aren't something I've seen in that shape before, but I'm guessing those just increase agitation of liquids like normal indents do. There wasn't much info for it. Just that it is made by Tudor Scientific. Couldn't find the blasted thing on their website though.

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know what it is however, when I worked for the University of Illinois they did have a glass blowing department that could make just about anything you could conceive. This could be a one off, left over from an experiment.

3. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks for the input Oldguy. That is so neat that you guys had your own glass department! Man, I'd be asking for all kinds of crazy things...like whatever the heck this thing is. X). I've searched and searched, and am starting to think this might indeed be some sort of custom monstrosity.

I'll have to try to email Tudor Sci too, to see if they can tell me anything about it. No idea what year it is from or anything though.

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Somebodys first day at the glass factory.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Somebodys first day at the glass factory.

[​IMG]

"Hey Bob, how's the first day going? ......Oh."​

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Think what it'll be worth in 50 years' time [​IMG]

7. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Haha, heck, what modern glassware is worth is enough to break the bank! [​IMG] Thank goodness for secondhand glassware.....or whatever this is. A glass udder replica?

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Who knows, they might become collectibles. Certainly never seen one before [​IMG]

Udder... now there's a theory...

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Looks like a movie prop from a 1950's sci fi movie. I think I saw a similar object sitting on Dr. Frankenstein's table.

10. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    will make a really cool antfarm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by