1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What the heck IS this???!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chknmom2014, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Chknmom2014

Chknmom2014 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Ok, so I'm wondering what breed(s) these 2 chickens are. They were hatched the end of August, so probably almost 5 months old. The dark one was labeled as Barred Plymouth Rock and the light one was labeled as a Sussex. They are very similar to my Ameracauna hen, but there are differences. I'm not seeing the tufts on their faces, and the comb looks like a combination of the Ameracauna comb but with almost a single comb kind of look. They both have the dark Ameracauna legs which is why I was thinking they were Ameracauna. But I am noticing that the dark one (Koko) has dark skin around the eyes. I'm perplexed, I'm pretty new to this, have only had a flock for a year so I need input and opinions. I'm pretty sure Koko is a Roo due to body shape and the way the tail is coming in, but the past 3 days, it goes in and stays in the nest box and I accidentally startled it today and it was clucking like a hen singing the egg song so I'm thinking I may be wrong about everything! Lol!! Snow ( the light colored one) looks almost identical to my Ameracauna with the accept ion of the tufts and comb. Please help! Lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Where did you get them?

To me, they look like game breed mixes.The coloring of the first is similar to that of a Black Sex-Link, but the body type is wrong. It is possible that the second bird is a non-bearded Easter Egger, but her body type doesn't look normal for the average Easter Egger, either.

Both of them are females.

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with Wyandottes7's guesses.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chknmom2014

May 19, 2014
    I got them at a local feed store and they are awesome birds, and I'm not unhappy with them, just curious.

5. Chknmom2014

May 19, 2014
    I was thinking some type of cross as well. I have included a picture of Mary (Ameracauna?) who does lay beautiful sage green eggs. They are similar but not quite the same. Do sex links or game birds have the dark legs and skin around the eyes?

[​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    They are mixed breeds, it seems. For the post above, it looks like an Easter Egger.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Mary is an Easter Egger rather than a true Ameraucana. True Ameraucanas lay blue (never green) eggs.

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Several different breeds have dark legs, and they're easy to get when you mix breeds. I agree they look like gamey mixed breed pullets and that dark bird is going to lay any day now.

10. Chknmom2014

May 19, 2014

I hope so! I will be sure to post pictures of the egg when she does. I really hope she is a she. :) she has been in the nest boxes a lot the last couple of days! Thank you all so much for your help and input! I've learned so much on this site, you folks are the best! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by