What The Heck Was My Neighbor's Rooster Doing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deb1, Aug 1, 2008.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    The neighbors to the left of me have chickens as do the neighbors who are diagonal to me. To avoid confusion in this story, I am going to give my diagonal neighbor the name of Fred.

Fred's chickens and turkeys often get out of their pen. He has a lot of animals on his one acre plot and they don't all seem cared for.

Anyway, yesterday, I saw a large, white rooster(beautiful bird) standing outside the coop of the neighbor's to the left of me.

Because those neighbors are gone for the weekend, I decided to put their rooster back in the coop.(they are friends of mine) But when I got close I realized that it wasn't their rooster but, I think, Fred's.

Fred's rooster was staring intently into the neighbor's chicken run. I have no idea if he wanted to mate, fight their roosters, or drink from their full waterer. He did have an open mouth and seemed to be panting.

The rooster stared into the other run so long that I assumed he was thirsty. I tried to bring him water but when I got close, he lifted his wings and stared intently at me. So, I assumed that he wasn't a very friendly rooster and left him alone.

But why the heck did he come out of his yard-around a privacy fence- to stare into a strange chicken coop in the first place? Are roosters territorial or was he just thirsty?

Before anyone asks, I can not talk to Fred because he and his wife refuse to answer the door when we knock. They hide inside.

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Are roosters territorial or was he just thirsty?

I would bet on both in this case. Do you have a pan of water you can set out at least keep the poor thing from dehydrating? Negligent neighbors, grrrrrrr​

3. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I would bet on both in this case. Do you have a pan of water you can set out at least keep the poor thing from dehydrating? Negligent neighbors, grrrrrrr

Yes, I do. Of course, I don't want to encourage him about coming into my neighbor's yard. But it gets so hot here and I really don't like to see animals suffer.

He was a really beautiful, very large rooster.

I'd call someone but I am afraid that the authorities would just pass a law banning the keeping of all poultry if I complained.

4. Cracker

Cracker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    North-West Florida
    The Grass is Always Greener!

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Did you say the neighbors actually HIDE?!

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I've had neighbors that did that too. [​IMG]

7. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Yes. Isn't that strange? I am not a big person and my sons are not either. What the heckdo they think we are going to do to them?.[​IMG]

One time the lady came to the door because we had a dog with us that we thought was hers. She answered the door just to tell us that the skinny, eye infected but friendly dog was not hers but that she sometimes fed it. So we took the suffering animal to the pound and was luckily assured that it was so cute and friendly that they were certain that they could find it a home.

I've tried to tell them that their birds are outside or that dogs killed one(not my dogs) I think that they are inside and my son swears he hears them up until he knocks on the door. But they don't answer our knocks.[​IMG]

Honestly, I would gladly help them round up their birds. I LIKE chickens. But I do want people to care for their animals.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    there are more strange things going on out there! I wonder if they get in the closet, or under the bed, or just freeze like kids playing tag . . .boggles the mind.

9. deb1

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

I can see it now. "Wait its that slightly plump, out of shape, short, middle aged woman again. Hide! We all know how dangerous she looks. Its the small ones who are most dangerous!"

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    If they don't take care of it, see if the other neighbor would take it off their hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by