What the heck??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cafrhe, Sep 7, 2016.

1. cafrhe

cafrhe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    While feeding my meat chicks (cornish cross), I just noticed one who is still naked! They are 3 weeks old and most of them are mostly feathered--tails, wings, back and chest mostly. This little one has 2-3 wing feathers and that's about it!
    Has anyone run into this before. While we are now entering another heat wave, we were much cooler last week. I am glad I decided to give them a heat lamp the last week as nights were cool. This chick would have been pretty cold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello! I have never experienced this before! I looked to see if I can find anything about late bloomers and I could not seem to find anything that diagnosed what you seem to be dealing with. I found a thread with somebody with a problem exactly like yours. I would not worry about it too much though. Is he smaller then the rest?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1107331/no-feathers

3. cafrhe

cafrhe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    Thanks for the link. Nope, this is one of the bigger chicks lol. And alert, happy and vigorous.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    If that is how he is acting, I would not worry one bit, he is just slower developing than some others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by