What the heck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robinm609, Dec 3, 2016.

1. robinm609

robinm609 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    My Coop
    What the heck is this?? [​IMG]

My easter-egger left it in the poop tray this morning. Shown next to one of her 'normal' eggs for size comparison. The shell on this little nugget is quite soft; her normal eggs have very strong shells. Is this a chicken fart? Any need for concern?

2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

How old is your EE? Chickens can lay a weird egg from time to time, especially when they are young and still getting the gist of the new plumbing. What gets me is the strong difference in color.

3. robinm609

robinm609 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    My Coop
    She's 33 weeks old, and one of my best layers. I can count on her for 6 eggs each week (she typically takes one day off).

The little turd-egg is slightly darker blue in color; the photo doesn't really show off the lovely pale blue color of her 'normal' egg.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Not abnormal for a smaller egg to have a deeper color, as the color doesn't have to cover such a large area.

5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Like I said. Chickens sometimes lay weird eggs, it happens. I once broke open an egg and it had another egg inside, shell and all.

I've read that smaller lays can sometime be stimulated by cold weather. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a habit, then it is probably a sign that something is wrong.

6. robinm609

robinm609 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    My Coop
    Many thanks for the kind replies.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just a glitch....probably no yolk in there, but small piece of tissue caused system to encase it as almost usual.
    Is 'shell' very thin or only membrane?

8. robinm609

robinm609 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    My Coop
    The shell was similar to a snake egg in texture. It had a globule of what looked like egg white inside, so I fried it up and gave it to my dog. [​IMG]

My hen produced a normal egg this morning, so no worries...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by