What the heck?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 14, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I got some eggs shipped to me last month. There were 7 of the breed that I wanted, cochins, and 2 extras of a different breed, seramas.

Both of the seramas have hatched, and only one of the others made it to the hatcher. That one zipped almost the entire way around the shell and died..

What the heck did I do wrong?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    [​IMG]
    wish i could help [​IMG] is the humidity right?

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The humidity is around 68% with the temp in the hatcher at 100.4

I just can't believe the one zipped almost completely and died [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had that happen too for no apparent reason. It's frustrating!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You didn't do anything wrong. I've had that happen also and for whatever reason, they just didn't finish hatching. There can be lots of factors as to why it didn't finish, such as a deformity of some kind.

From what I understand, Serema's are very hard to hatch, so I think that's a great accomplishment in itself!

Keep your chin up! Things like this happen when you hatch eggs, unfortunately. [​IMG]

6. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    your humidity is what i call "Perfect" [​IMG]
    I'm not an xpert YET so I can't help u [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I know!! That is what is so aggravating about it! The two that are supposed to be difficult had no problems, and the ones that should be 'easy' did not make it [​IMG]

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I had a silkie die in my last hatch. It had pipped and made a nice hole in the egg and hadn't even been in the shell long when it died. I took it out but couldn't find anything wrong with it. Just depressing is what it is. Sorry about yours.
    Becky

9. L*A*G*

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:r silkies hard to hatch???

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    There has been one in every one of my hatches that zips and gets stuck for one reason or another. Usually if I catch it early I can just pop the end off and the chick is fine. The last quail batch 23 popped out of their eggs no problem, 1 drowned, and 1 I pulled the end off and dumped him out when I removed the other chicks. Left him and 2 others that were still damp in there to dry off, moved them to the brooder an hour later, and by the next day had no clue which one it was. Same with my last japanese bantam hatch. Nearly all eggs hatched and the last one I had to pull the end off the egg. It fell right out of the egg and ran around peeping. Previous button hatch same thing but I didn't realize one was still stuck in the egg and I had several that didn't hatch so I left them an extra 2 days to see if there were any late ones. By the time I found the zipped and stuck chick it was alive but too late. It came out all crooked and unable to straighten itself. I tried to help it but it died 2 days later. Since my hatch rate those times was 90% or better I don't really think it's anything I'm doing wrong. Some just don't get positioned right, have thicker membrane than normal, or some other odd thing that keeps them from giving that last push to shove the end off the egg and hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by