What the heck?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Goose and Fig, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I got 2 of these little boys in a mixed pullet order from MPC. Can't figure out what they are supposed to be! They are much darker than the buff orp pullets, and have yellow-ish legs. Too light for an New Hampshire. Sex link boys are supposed to be white with red, not the opposite. The don't carry Buff Rocks or Leghorns.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    It has pearl colored legs...darker coloring or not, I think it is a BO roo.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:it could be.

4. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    At a glance they look similair to the New Hampshire roos we recently got from Meyer. They are much lighter colored than I was expecting.

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

It's not showing very well in the pic, but they have a yellow wash on the front. None of the girls have had that- and I have raised several BOs from myself and other people. Their legs are more "pink". (the ones from the same hatch). Wouldn't mind if they were BOs- I could sell them off in pairs [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    pullet [​IMG] sorry Amy couldn't resist...who knows if that pullet lays eggs you could get very rich..

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA

It's not showing very well in the pic, but they have a yellow wash on the front. None of the girls have had that- and I have raised several BOs from myself and other people. Their legs are more "pink". (the ones from the same hatch). Wouldn't mind if they were BOs- I could sell them off in pairs [​IMG]

Either way you win! I have Buff Rocks and Buff Orpingtons and if you sat both breeds side by side at an early age the leg coloring wasn't definitive. Once they got a little older it became more and more clear. Like I said before...either way (as I'm sure you already know) both are great breeds!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

He doesn't really look like a BO to me. But roo for sure!! He's cute!

[​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:[​IMG] I know- I guess their 90% sexing rate was about right on this order!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by