1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What the heck?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Anna_MN, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    One of my Gold Star girls lays while I'm feeding/watering/cleaning out the coop. She lays while I'm out there EVERY DAY! Yesterday she laid me a very nice big brown egg. Today she layed me a big NOT SO BROWN egg. At first I thought maybe she was sitting on someone else's egg, but when I picked it up it was very warm, a little wet, and fresh laid by her. Then I realized I don't have ANY chickens that lay white eggs! What the heck is going on?! [​IMG] Here is the comparison-

[​IMG]

Yesterday's egg

[​IMG]

Today's egg

I separate my eggs by hen because I want to keep track of their laying size. Weird, I know! But it's pretty easy to keep track since they all lay at different times during the day [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I hate to answer a question with a question, but is it possible that she has white egg layer in her back ground? I'm not sure really, but that's what I would think? They are cross breeds right?

3. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Nope two of my girls are full blooded Gold Stars. I also have two Rhode Island Red who are full blooded as well. She has laid over a two dozen nice brown eggs for me and then today out of no where there was a white one. Maybe she laid it too soon? I have no idea!

4. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Well a full blood gold star is like a full blood labradoodle, they are hybrid chickens. They take a rooster (I think delaware?) And cross it with a rhode island red hen....(I think that's the cross any way) but any way the chicks that hatch are sex-links, the roosters will be white and the hens will be reddish, I'm thinking that somewhere in her back ground she had a white egg laying relative, but I'm not sure if that would still breed true (well make a sex-link)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    Maybe she hadn't taken the time to warm up her ink jets:oops:

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 sometimes they dont get colored

7. slim1986

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Mtnhens4, [​IMG]

8. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    In the basket are 3 dark eggs from my one and only Welsummer. Her eggs never look the same. Sometimes they have freckles and sometimes not. My only Speckled Sussex who lays light brown eggs started laying white eggs for months and just started laying her light browns ones again. Maybe there is something wrong in the "paint" department. I am just happy to get eggs from my girls.

[​IMG]

9. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:what a beautiful harvest [​IMG]

10. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It happens sometimes. I have noticed that my brown egg layers will start with a lot of color on the egg and then the eggs start to get pale after a while. Sometimes they just lay a strange one. I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by