What the Heck?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pinky67, Feb 1, 2013.

1. pinky67

pinky67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    A few days ago one of my Brown Leghorn hens nearly drowned in my ducks little pond. I got her out in time and she is fine. That was three days ago...my ducks (a mallard pair) will not go back in the pond. I rinsed it out and added fresh water. [​IMG]I don't get it.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you noticed how your leghorn got into the pond? could your drake have drug her in to the pond? as far as why they won't go back in I have no idea.

3. pinky67

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    Hmmm I have no idea how she got in the pond. The drake is still pretty young....just started getting a little aggresive w the chickens. I hope he didn't drag her in! If so I will have to separate the ducks from the chickens! She is on the small side for a leghorn. The whole flock is very young and all free range about a half acre together. 3 LH hens, two banty roosters and the 2ducks.

4. duck mad 2012

duck mad 2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    hope the chicken is ok, could she of flowen in?
    may be the duck saw what happend and is now scared going back in the water haha

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The reason I asked is drakes when starting into hormone crazies have been known to mate and try to mate with hens and it can lead to serious injury or death to chickens. I have never seen one of my drakes drag one of their ducks into the pool but they can sure be rough with them. Keep an eye on your drake and your chickens he may never try mating with them since he has a mate but one never knows. And she could have flown into the pond as duck mad said, [​IMG] if you want to try to encourage your ducks back into the pond ,maybe tossing something they like to eat into it may help. shredded lettuce or dried mealworms.

6. pinky67

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    She's fine. A little wet and tired but ok. I think she must have flown in...first time that has happened. I just don't know why they won't go back in. Scardyducks!

7. pinky67

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    I'll try some lettuce. Thanks for the help!

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I grew up on a lake and in spring we would end up with a lot of dead mallard hens washing up on shore, from where 2 or 3 drakes would try to mate the same hen and would end up drowning her in their fighting and loving...So drakes are sometimes too rough, and a little bit mean.

9. pinky67

Jul 28, 2012
    Crescent City, CA
    I'll keep a closer eye on him. [​IMG]He (and his mate) do chase the two banty roos I have....thankfully the little guys are very fast! I have seen him try to get frisky with the LH hens, they just shake him off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by