1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What the heck....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SterlingAcres, Aug 8, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I still have no pips... Set 1 is Day 22, Set 2 is Day 21. I'm doing something wrong, I know I am... maybe my instruments aren't reading dead on? They're new. I've got 3 chicks hatched (on their day 20 & 21), they hatched really wet with goop on them...

Did I drown the rest of them or what?! [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    what were your temps day 1-18?? and what is your humitidy at now ?

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My temps have been fluctuating between 99.3 and 100.2 the whole incubating period. My humidity for days 1-18 was 30-36%. Now it's sitting around 50%.

My humidity was threw the roof last hatch (I'm assuming since the instruments went) and they were hatching really wet. Am I still putting too much water in there? [​IMG] this really sucks... I started with 2 dozen... down to 11 good ones, 3 have hatched... Those are HORRIBLE numbers... [​IMG]

4. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Well... shoot me, but I candled the remaining eggs. I see no movement, no pips to air cells, no nothing. Some aren't even full of chick, so they must have quit a few days ago.
    I also candled my guinea eggs from Corancher. Not a single one developed... [​IMG] If they did, they quit before they started veining across the shells...
    I candled my guineas from Meccasue, set last Friday, I see a few moving. Thank goodness.
    I also set my duck eggs this evening. I candled them before setting them, there appears to be loose air cells... I'm praying they develop. I'm having a crappy run of luck with eggs lately...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Last time I drove through PA in the summer (2 years ago) I noticed how humid it was. Perhaps your humidity is higher than you think.

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    You should get your hum up to 60-65, if its too low the chicks wont be able to turn in there shell to pip and unzip, they will also dry out inside the egg and not be able to move. if you can add more water to get it up to 60-65 that would be good, if you cant add anymore water put a sponge or 2 in there. Just try to AT LEAST get it to 60%

Are the eggs rocking at all ?

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Keep the ones you see no movement in for another day or 2 !!! Dont get rid of them yet. Just maybe they will hatch, i always open my eggs up before geting rid of them, just to make sure the chick isent alive !!!! but wait another day 2 do that, Good luck

8. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:It probably is... [​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I think it's probably higher than it's reading... my chicks hatched very wet. Sticky actually.
    No, the eggs aren't moving at all.... but I saved them and will wait 2-3 more days. My bator will be running into September anyway, since I added duck eggs. Maybe I'll have better luck with those and my humidity levels... Ugh.

10. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Quote:It probably is... [​IMG]

I don't know. Your humidity is only at 50 percent, and my babies hatched yesterday at 65-70 perent. I was actually thinking maybe it was too low.
    I wish you the best of luck, though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by