1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What the hell is this!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Burgs, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Burgs

Burgs Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    I've had chicken for many years and I have never come across or seen anything like this!! I cleaned out my coop and made everything nice and fresh for my flock, I went to collect eggs in the evening and noticed one egg had been laid but was missing and kind of shell. It's ok I thought it happens sometimes no big worry! They have grit, outer shell and they are on layers pellets I'm sure it's a one off! I removed the egg and noticed this strange pink lump in the same nest box on the opposite side away from the egg. I picked it up and it was a hard pink lump that had the same feel and consistency of cooked chicken! I'm thinking *** is this?!?! It has no odour of any kind it just feels and looks like cooked chicken!! I have no idea what it is? Does anybody know????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the chicken are fine there all eating there all drinking! Nothing looks out of the ordinary. For size reference it is about and inch and a half long

2. Burgs

Burgs Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Just incase people are mistaken in the top picture that hair like thing is a bit of hay

3. Burgs

Burgs Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Ok I've actually found something I think this is a lash egg! And basically that's the end of the chickens laying eggs period! . . This concerns me as I think the one who later the dud egg was my hen that has just started laying :-/

Apparently it is brought on by stress and as I've just added two chicken to my flock I imagine that is what it is!

4. RedBanks

RedBanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2015
    I just read about this today.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by