What the....? Help!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicka_deee, Jun 11, 2019.

1. AGirlAndHerChickens

AGirlAndHerChickens In the Brooder

Sep 24, 2018
    Is your "no peck" stuff Blu-Kote? That has antiseptic in it and it turns the bald spot blue since red attracts chicken pecking. If you have that, I'd recommend. Also agree with all the vitamin and probiotic talk. The balancing could be serious, though I did hatch out a Polish hen once that was the same way. She was always healthy, but she was a bit clumsy. It never seemed to bother her much, and she lived happily till the day she died. RIP Puffy Potsticker.

Chicka_deee and ChickNanny13 like this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    If the bald spot is the side he's scratching, he could be scratching himself "bald". I'm seeing a yellow lump above the bald spot ... It's possible an "infection" or something. Try with a QTip if you can clean it off or is it hard.

Vetercyin is a great product also.

3. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    I don’t think he scratches the bald spot, he scratches his face and I have noticed him doing it before I noticed the bald spot, yes there is yellow.... I’m still a little confused if I should clean it with something and then while it heals should I keep putting something on it? I’m sorry if I’m being difficult I just want to do this right :thumbsup

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    It doesn’t feel swollen...

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Initial cleaning with peroxide as RhodeIslandRed5 mentioned, spray with Vetercyin or Blu Note, you can use Neosporin without the pain relief.
    @Eggcessive What do you make of that "yellow" lump?

6. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    Clean the area with water and mild soap first.
    Next you may apply something like peroxide to disinfect the area.
    Next you may apply something of your choice such as antibiotic ointment, or the blu kote (I’ve never used that).
    Add probiotics and or vitamins to the drinking water. Do not wash the wound with them-it might sting and would not likely be beneficial in any way.

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you get some photos of his face and eyes too where he's scratching?

I see some irritated skin, possibly some broken feathers. It's hard to tell if he's scratching at that, being picked on or if he might have lice or mites. Have you checked him over well for lice and inspected him and his housing at night for mites as well?

Eggcessive and BigBlueHen53 like this.
  8. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    I will when I get home from school, and I will also do everything that needs to be done then too, thank you guys so much, this is really good! :D I am also getting rid of him and his brother, so I do need him perfect lol
    Thank you!❤️❤️❤️

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California

Before, one of his earlobes were swollen and infected, it healed and was on the same side, (side he always scratches)

Attached Files:

10. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    So I cleaned it with soapy warm water and then put some peroxide on it, and it looks the same, I checked for mites and lice on the other polish he stays with and I didn’t find anything....
    I don’t have any ointment right now...
    Now what should I do?
    I need to give him away Along with the other Polish rooster and they already have a head problem that’s growing feathers back right now but I do need him to heal soon because people might want to adopt these roosters .... is ther an easy way to help the feathers grow back or do I have to wait?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: