What the....? Help!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicka_deee, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Than you for the additional photos, does his iris look normal?
    Are you finding discharge/crust in the eye? His eye looks sunken, did he have respiratory symptoms along with the ear infection?
    What do you mean by they have a head problem?
    Have you taken a good look at the pupils of their eyes?

I would not put any more peroxide on the skin. If it needs to be flushed use saline.
    I hate to tell you this, but it would be a good idea to trim the feathers away from that skin so you can get a better look at it and it will keep that cleaner when you do get some ointment to put on it.
    I know you are trying to get them feathered out, nice/healthy etc., so you can re-home them. There are no tricks to get them feathered out. Time and good food will take care of that.
    I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

upload_2019-6-12_22-51-39.png

Eggcessive and Chicka_deee like this.
  2. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    His iris is not that normal compared (normal) to the others.
    The Polish were with others and they got their crest pecked and now the feathers are finally slowly growing back because I’ve separated them from the others. I hate how I always have to do the next things the next day, soon I’ll have more time to care for this property, I just have school... (almost summer! This Friday I get out! Yay!)
    Hopefully they are well and good before I redone them, the last thing I want to do is give them a messed up chicken....

3. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    I also just found crust on the corner of his eye just now.... (this bird has lots of problems :(. )

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so sorry.

It sounds like he does have quite a bit going on. I understand you are wanting to re-home him, but it may be best to cull him instead. I would worry that he may have something contagious that could spread to someone else's flock.

MomJones, Eggcessive and Chicka_deee like this.
  5. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    I’ll see what I can do, I really hate to do this... I really only have chickens has pets, thank you though for all the help!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    Instead of starting a new thread, this pullet is ~17 weeks old and her comb looks like it got cut and is now looking permanently Crooked .... what can I do?

E2B3E0A2-7CE0-467F-805A-25AE9DD1D609.jpeg
    880ABC06-A17B-44F3-B4F9-96B8B6774815.jpeg
    I haven’t seen anyone peck it. And there’s no sort of bug on it, just dry blood... and white stuff

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like it may have been torn, but I wouldn‘t do anything to it. You could dab a little betadine on it, but it will get better on it’s own. It doesn’t seem to block her eyesight at all.

Wyorp Rock, MomJones and Chicka_deee like this.
  8. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    Ok thank you, will it go back to normal and not be crooked or will it stay the same?
    It kinda looks cool.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I doubt that it will go back to what it looked like. Sometimes when a comb is partially torn off and is hanging or blocking the eye, they can be trimmed off. But you shouldn’t have a problem.

Wyorp Rock and Chicka_deee like this.
  10. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    Awesome, thanks for the help! :D:highfive:

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: