what the hey kind of silkie is this? (video post #23!)

You could always do a rescue
smile.png

I think they look great, but you would probably want to pair them with smooth or silkie feathered birds, not with each other. Neither looks to be a curley, but a quarter of their offspring would be. His comb is redder than I like, but still acceptible as mulberry-coloured. Both could use larger crests.

If you want to breed towards sizzles, breed to smooth feathered partridges; if you want frizzled silkies, breed to partridge silkies. If you can't find partridge, use black.

They both look to me like "frilkies" which would be one of the possible results of breeding a silkie and a frizzle. I'm no expert...still learning and making my first attempts at breeding F1 sizzles. The results can vary(As I ever so humbly understand it)...you can get silkies, frizzles, frilkies, or sizzles. At any rate, these would make a great start for a breeding program b/c they are both carrying the frizzle genes but yet are so much more than a frizzle because they are obviously carrying the silkie genes as well!!! So if you buy these little cutie pies...you're next step would be to breed them back to a regular partridge(if you want to keep that color the same) silkie. The female will need a reg. silkie roo to breed with and the male will need a regular silkie female to breed with. The result of this will give you 2nd generation at least(check into which generation these guys are) SIZZLES!!!! Hey, if you get these little raggedly babies think about joining the yahoogroup for sizzles!!! It's very fun and welcoming group! Please keep us up on whatever you decide! Sizzles are becoming VERY popular! And they are sooo TWEET!!! Blessings, Keri

they are frizkies...
big_smile.png

The roo seems to have a good breeding potential, long feathers, good curl and short back.... put him over some normal silkies with good head gear and you'll get some nice offsprings.

Thanks everyone!

I'm hoping the guy will sell them to me, I really want these two cuties!

I have more silkies arriving this weekend so if all goes well, I can start breeding them this summer - woo!

They're coming home to mama either tomorrow or Wednesday!

wee.gif

They will need to be bathed - I've never washed a chicken before so any advice, tips and tricks are very much appreciated!

Do I use normal shampoo? Blow dry?
hu.gif

They will be housed in the garage in their own 2' x 4' condo and will be treated with Ivermectin (am not taking chances that they may have internal parasites) - anything else to worry about?

I've already named them Tyler and Marla
lol.png

(any Fight Club fans out there?)

Back
Top Bottom