What the ???? My hen is laying alien beings! warning - gross graphic images

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hometoroost, Feb 22, 2012.

1. hometoroost

hometoroost New Egg

Jul 24, 2010
    What the H*** is this?! Have had a hen (black australorp) that has been feeling under the weather for about a week or so. Not eating, lethargic and increasingly bad diarhea. Started her on broad spectrum antibiotics and three days later (yesterday) found a large egg shaped glob in the coop. Was sort of a doughy looking mass and the hens were all picking at it so it was really difficult to determine what it was. Removed gross item and disposed of it. Today, I found this in the laying box as the hen exited. Large egg-type object, spongy texture with blood on end. Thought poor thing must have had a hard time passing this! When I pushed on the surface, a couple minutes later, blood oozed out - AHHH, its alive!!!!

Well, just had to cut it open and here is the inside of it. Am I about to be overrun by aliens? It kinda sorta looks like a fertized chick? Any iseas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Very weird for sure! I would have to guess that it's an ovary? No idea though, I've never seen anything like it.

Certainly not a developing chick - I hatch a good deal and I open up all my eggs that don't hatch - nothing has ever looked like that.

3. i am amazed, i have seen all sorts of different eggs here, and never seen this kind..

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I think it's what they call a 'lash'. It's layers and layers of 'cooked egg' and can be related to internal laying. Have seen them many times on this forum, but not an egg shaped one like that one!

ETA: google 'lash egg' and look up images. you'll see lots just like yours.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I googled it and that's certainly what it looks like.

6. hometoroost

hometoroost New Egg

Jul 24, 2010
    Thanks! Never heard of a "lash" before. This hen was a rescue from a commercial breeding operation. Wonder it that's why she was past her "sell by date". Also wondering if she will start laying normally again. These two "eggs" are the first I have gotten from her since I acquired her in December.

7. gonzroc

gonzroc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    Fairview, TN
    I am a soon to be mom to 3 hens and I am learning tons on this site. Thanks for posting that, now I know what "lash" is and hope to never see it again..hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by