What the PECK is going on?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FromChictoChick, Apr 15, 2012.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I brought home two, week old chicks on Tuesday. I was told they were both Barred Rocks, but it would appear one is a Black Sex Link (female). Today, added to the brooder two, week old, Lavender Orpingtons.

Well, now I am noticing the BSL is pecking! Pecking at me and at the other chicks!
    Is this sort of stress related, or related to the new dynamics of the new additions? It is not just pecking at the new chicks, but it's former brooder mate, the BR, too. And what the heck should I do about it pecking at me?

Should I let it be? Will things settle down? Is this normal? Should I separate the more aggressive/dominant chick or is this part of establishing a "pecking order".

The BR and BSL are almost two weeks old, to the best of my knowledge (I got them at Morrison Agway so don't know the exact hatch date) and the Lavender Orpingtons were born last Sunday, so are exactly a week old. Adding a pair of EE/Americaunas at the end of the week. Are BSLs more dominant than the other breeds, I hadn't anticipated getting this breed and had been told since the store made a mixup I could return it, so I am wondering if I should...
    [​IMG]

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    It's a normal part of the pecking order for the dominant one to have a go at everyone else. Especially if the new chicks are younger. My hens used to give the neighbour's hen, same size but a year younger, absolute grief.
    Pecking you is pretty normal too. I have a chicken who always does that for no apparent reason. Mineare sex links too, don't know if that's got anything to do with it though.

3. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    Would switching to a red light help?

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
  5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    The red light might help, mine had a white light and didn't have problems. It's probably just trying to re-establish the pecking order now that there are new chicks in there. More room is always good. My six were in a 2x4 ft enclosure. I didn't see the size of your brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by