What the youngest your pullet laid an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoccerMomof7, May 27, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    What is the youngest pullets ever laid an egg? How about a rooster, what's the youngest they crowed? My 3 oldest are in their adolescents stages and wondering about when to start expecting things. California white leghorn pullets are 10 weeks, but my brown leghorn roo is only 7 weeks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My youngest was a cross between a Cochin/Silkie cross over a Barred Rock hen. She laid at 18 weeks, but many sexlink types lay earlier than that. My earliest crow was five DAYS old. Now, that was cute!

3. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    how adorable, 5 days old and crowing. I have 2 surprise roosters in my EE pullets. 1 roo I was pretty sure about because of the red comb but the #2 I had just started to wonder and then one day a pullet was having a hard time finding her way back into the coop and #2 roo crowed at her. I laughed so hard, and had to call EVERYONE I know to tell them my roo crowed. That was at about 8 weeks.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    youngest pullets laying eggs/youngest rooster crowing. 5-10 weeks. (Egyptian fayoumis)

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Wow I wonder why my rooster hasn't started crowing...

6. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    My roo was a year old before he started to crow and that was w/me crowing to him to encourage it. I have a 2 1/2 month old that has been crowing for a couple of weeks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by