What they like and what we like - not always the same thing!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gullygarden, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I turned my 8 week old girls out in the pretty green run this morning. Where I would have been enjoying the sunshine and the green grass, they zeroed in on the slugs, spiders, etc. that were under the tarp of the old chicken tractor that is in the run too....They also helped remove bugs from the compost pile I have in there. Here they are doing that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yum they say.......bugs

Sunshine and grass will be there but those bugs - they could crawl/hop/fly away, so they best be got quickly [​IMG]

3. Gullygarden

Jul 2, 2011
    Yes! and nothing is a better treat than a nice big roach!
    I use no spray in my house just so if I ever catch one, I can take it to them!

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Hang a Japanese beetle trap up, on the fence of their pen, that way they can grab the beetles that crash and fall to the ground, high on pheremones. You can either feed the chickens the tasty treats as they are caught, or pop them in a freezer in a bag, for winter feeding, either way, the chickens will love you.

5. Gullygarden

Jul 2, 2011
    What a good idea about the traps. What kind do you use? Pictures?

6. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Sorry, Gullygarden, but I am camera/computer challenged. I don't have a picture. But there are several kinds of pheremone traps. It is basically a container of pheremone, about the size of an icecube. A bag (with fins, sort of) hangs from it, with lots of yellow to aid in attracting the beetles. Once the bug falls into the bag, it can't figure out how to fly out. They gather in the bottom of the bag. Some traps have a zipper bottom so you can empty them out easily. Buy the trap at any garden center, maybe Wal-mart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by