What time do chicken want letting out of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stav1981, Nov 4, 2013.

1. stav1981

stav1981 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    Title says it all really.....

Also will foxes be about at the time they want letting out??? I live in the UK so foxes are the main issue to chicken danger I would assume.

2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    They want out at daylight....can't speak to your fox issues. They can be an issue at any time of day, correct?

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My chickens want out a first light. I let them out of the run after the dogs have eaten. We don't have foxes here, I think the coyotes ran them off.

Chris

4. stav1981

stav1981 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    thanks guys.

5. borrow53

borrow53 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    england
    This time of year in england I let mine out at around 8:00, also if you let them out as it begins to become light out the chickens are quite so they don't annoy neighbours,

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What time you need to let them out depends a lot on how much room they have in the coop. The more room they have in the coop after they wake up, the more casual you can be about letting them out. Some of that too depends on if you feed and especially water inside or outside the coop.

Dogs may be even more of a threat to yours than foxes. Dogs often are.

Most foxes are mainly nocturnal, especially around human habitat. They are less likely to be seen at night so they adapt to hunting mostly at night. As long as they feel “safe” they are equally at home hunting during the day.

I live away from heavy human habitation. Most of my fox problems have come at dawn or dusk, but I have seen them out during the middle of the day too.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by