What time do chickens come out in the winter?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by domm1, Jan 6, 2013.

1. domm1

domm1 New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Hello, I was just wondering what time do chickens come out in the winter? I live in the uk I normally go out and let them out about 8 in the winter time and about half 6 in the summer. But I have left a hole in there door so they can go out whatever time they want first day I have tried it.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

thry com out all wjnter lomhmbuy likr ti dtyatcloder tothrtr food and where it is warm.......spring iis there favorite tine of yrar!

3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Mine want out asap in the morning. It doesnt seem to matter to them what time of year it is. They come out of the coop into the run around 5 am & want out to free range. I usually dont let them out till around 7ish am though - no matter what time of year it is. They are funny little creatures :)

4. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    My guys usually hit the ground running as soon as it is light enough to see, rain or shine. Yours might be a little shy the first time they encounter snow but quickly get accustomed to the change.

Good Luck and WELCOME to Back Yard Chickens!!! You will learn a lot from this great community [​IMG]

Trish

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I open mine as soon as it's properly light in the mornings and they come out immediately.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Some of mine come out when it's still quite dark - others prefer it to be a little more light out. I know when there is snow on the ground or it is super cold, they tend to stay inside longer.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Given their choice they will come out at early dawn (unless extremely cold or snowy). Be careful with leaving the coop open to predators over night.

10. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Most of mine want out as soon as i let my dogs out about 6;30 am but one pair of laced brahmas stays in in cold weather until maybe 9 or 10!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by