What time do you collect chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickadee-23, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    This is my first time with chickens that lay for eating i have 3 RIRs & 2 white legirns thy are about 22 weeks none have layed eggs, but i was wondering about what time to collect them when they start laying? Thanks

2. jmysgrl08

jmysgrl08 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2013
    Aylett, VA
    We collect ours in the afternoon to evening. We find our chickens lay most of their eggs in the morning or early afternoon.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you're around during the day, and if you're anything like me, you'll be checking the nest boxes frequently for those eggs. Some chickens lay early in the day, others don't lay until early in the afternoon. You may notice that one girl will start laying her egg early in the morning, then each day, it will be a bit later, until she lays an egg in the afternoon. She'll most likely skip a day, then start the cycle all over again. You can collect eggs several times/day. Enjoy!

4. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks ya'll!! And yes i have been checking every day for my first egg, my girls look ready my red sex link & white leghorns do, but my 2 RIRs might need couple more weeks but im realy anxious waiting lol :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by