What time do you collect your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DreamsInPink, Apr 1, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm really sorry for all the questions.... Do you know what time your chickens lay their eggs and what time do you collect them?

When you let them out of the coop in the morning, have they already laid their eggs, or do they go outside for a while and then come back in to lay their eggs?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It really varies from hen to hen and day to day -- the commonly quoted time for an egg to go from start to finish is around 25 hours (give or take), which means that each day the egg a hen lays will be "done" a little later than the one the day. I can't say that I have seen this to be completely accurate, but it's a good general "rule". Some days there are eggs before it's daylight, sometimes there's a fresh egg at roost time -- sometimes they even drop them from the roost overnight, though this is more the exception than the rule as *most* are laid during dayight hours.
    We collect in the late afternoon/early evening. If you are experiencing sub-freezing temperatures it can be beneficial to go out a few times a day to prevent loss of eggs to freezing which can cause cracking.

3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I usually collect a couple of times a day. Once about 10 am and once in the afternoon. Usually they have all laid by then. I have a couple that like to lay first thing in the morning and some that are all over the board. I've heard it said that chickens take 25 hours to make an egg so each egg comes a little later than the last one, but I have not personally found that to be true. You can collect your eggs at whatever time is convenient to you. Mine go out and will go back into the coop to lay when the urge strikes them, whether they are in the run or free ranging.

4. DreamsInPink

Thank you! I guess I was worried they would go out in the run and might lay their eggs out there somewhere... instead of going in to the nest boxes.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There is always a chance of that - especially at first. Laying in *a* nest is instinct, laying in the nests you want them to use can take some training. If you find eggs outside the nest boxes or suspect they are laying in hidden locations you can teach them to use the nest boxes.

6. mortie

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    this

7. DreamsInPink

How does one go about teaching them where to lay? Move their eggs to the nest boxes? Also, I've read that the nest boxes need to be private. How do I do that? They are going to be in the coop... there isn't really any area of it that is more private than others.

8. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Usually morning and late afternoon. In the summer when we're outdoors more, we may check more often.

9. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    when mine were in the coop, they layed in the box. When I let them out, they layed in the woods. I don't do very much free ranging but I would let them out at 1pm or so, whenever they lay eggs. It is great for chickens to get free ranging time, but in my view I'd rather have the eggs first.

I would try keeping them in the coop for a week or two. they will get the point sooner or later.

10. mortie

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    When mine got to laying age, I kept them in the run until late in the afternoon when I was reasonably sure they were done laying for the day. The nest box was the most optimal spot so it was a natural choice for them to lay in there rather than in the run. Once they get into a habit, they usually keep doing it. So my goal was to make the habit using the next box. Conversely, if the habit is laying in the bushes or wherever...that's hard to break too. Usually requires confinement until they lay where you want them to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by