what time do your ducks go to bed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hennyjenn, May 19, 2010.

1. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    I've been going out at 8:30, just as dusk is approaching. The hens are all tucked in for the night, but it is still light enough for me to check the corners for unwanted guests. The ducks are always still outside their house and I have to round each one up and put it inside. Will they ever figure out to go in themselves?

2. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    my ducks are inside at 7:30pm, they will eventually learn to go back in at night. You might want to keep them in for a couple of days (on days with bad weather) then they will always go in on theyre own. Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I usually feed mine right when it starts getting dark and lock them up. If I get home late and it's dark most of the time they are waiting in their cage sleeping.

4. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I feed my kids and get them set for bed and then head down and round up the ducks. They don't get food at night so I bring them a treat a couple times a week, as soon as I walk in their yard they run in their house to look for treats. I do it 2/3 times a week and it seems to keep them happy going in at night without having to chase them all over.

5. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I feed my kids and get them set for bed and then head down and round up the ducks. They don't get food at night so I bring them a treat a couple times a week, as soon as I walk in their yard they run in their house to look for treats. I do it 2/3 times a week and it seems to keep them happy going in at night without having to chase them all over.

***Darn double post!!! Sorry, satellite screw up.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks nap a lot during the day so they have plenty of energy to stay up late [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Mine are waiting for me at the door of the shed that they sleep in if I am late to lock them up......They get their dinner in there too...So hunger was the key to training mine to learn where the last meal and bed was.

8. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Right now. LOL.

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I don't let my ducks wear watches but when sunset occurs they usually head for the barn to be sure to get their favorite spot.

10. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    between 8 pm and 9 pm. THey stopped putting them selves up and I have to tell them to go to bed. No treats, no water just security.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by