1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What time do your girls lay their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Agilityscots, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Well, I've gotten a grand total of three eggs now: my very first egg was yesterday, and then I got two today.

I always assumed that chickens laid their eggs in the morning, but yesterday's egg came about the same time as today's second egg (late afternoon). This morning I found one when I let the girls out at about 9 a.m. What time do your girls lay their eggs?? Will I have to keep checking all day?

Amy

P.S. I caught my little Ophelia laying just now...it was SO DARN CUTE! I picked her up to check because she was nesting in the corner of the coop, but no egg. I put some cat food down for the other girls and she hopped up after a few seconds and wandered over...and there was her little brown egg, warm and perfect!!!!! I don't think I'll ever get tired of this. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They lay when ever they want. My last ones lay at about two hours before sun set.

3. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    Its like people giving birth. they do it when you least expect. you never know.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I get them from morning through late afternoon. No one lays at the same time each day.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All day long. Sometimes as late as 6 p.m.

6. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    same here, all day long I'm getting a dozen a day now..[​IMG]

7. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Wow, I had NO idea...so how often do you all check your coops for eggs? A couple times a day? More??

Amy

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I go out and check around noon and again at 3 and then when I do a head count when they come in to roost.

9. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    so far they all lay first thing in the morning, but they've only been laying for about 2 months.
    although half of the time one of the RIR's will lay around 1-2 in the afternoon.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I spend a large part of the day outside so I'm there many times to check for eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by