1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What time do your hens lay their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaddidle, Jul 23, 2010.

1. kaddidle

kaddidle Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Alabama
    My Plymouth Rock hen just started laying this week. I thought that hens layed in the morning, but she seems to do it around lunch time. Is this unusual? A quirk because her eggs have just come in? Or do hens usually lay at different times of day?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My Yokohamas usually lay in the afternoon, my EE's before noon, & my quail, around the clock.

3. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Songster

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Mine are new layers, but they usually lay from about 9:30am - 4:30pm, depending on the chicken.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Depends on the chicken and what time schedule you have them on....

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Eggs take about 26 hours to be "built" and that means, if a hen or pullet lays every day, it will be about 2 hours later the next day. And 2 hours later the day after that, until it's too late to lay (according to chicken circadian rhythms). Then it starts all over again. For the most part, eggs are laid between 9 am and 4 pm.

6. Tiss

Tiss Songster

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I only have 2 laying so far, but my Barred Rock lays before 10am and my RSL lays around 2pm.

7. NewHen

NewHen Songster

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Our sex link just started laying and gives us one day. She also seems to lay between 9 and 4:30.

8. Mamaperreca

Mamaperreca Chirping

May 16, 2010
    Missouri
    If a hen or pullet lays every day, it will be about 2 hours later the next day. And 2 hours later the day after that, until it's too late to lay (according to chicken circadian rhythms). Then it starts all over again.

This is what mine are doing. So one morning it was before noon. Then next day after lunch. The third evening. Then the fourth day they didn't lay (skipped). Morning the fifth day and so on.​

9. ga_goat

ga_goat Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    mine are through by 10 am , very seldom get an afternoon egg temps here in the upper 90's with 103 to 109 heat index
    I am getting 6 to 8 eggs a day out of 16 hens , various breeds .
    according to my vet heat had killed 2 of my young cuckoo marana hens . I put shade cloth over part of the run and put misters in all 5 of the pens and they seem to be responding well .

10. bald k9

bald k9 Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    mine usally lay between 8am and 10 am

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by