1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What time do your roosters crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamaKate, Oct 25, 2008.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I saw another thread discussing person's neighbor who was mad about a rooster who crowed at 7 a.m. [​IMG] My guys always started about 3:45. [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Mine starts about 4:30 am and doesn't shut up until he goes to bed at night!

3. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my 4 MO roosters just crowed about 5 mins. ago...I really can't figure it out. Its completly dark [​IMG]

4. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Mine started at about 4 am in the summer, but now that it is getting dark earlier they start at about 6 am, and go most of the day.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    There is a rooster across the street, I do not have one. Lately he has started crowing about 5am. Occasionally I hear him during the day, but not much. And I have heard roosters crow at 3am, or any time of day or night!!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't have any Roos's, but some of my neighbors do. For the most part, I hear them early in the morning, but I think light affects them too because it seem later during the colder months and therefore less light. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Mine crow pretty much anytime they feel like it between first light and twilight.

I have noticed something about the odd crows in the middle of the night though, everytime one of my roosters crows at night and I've gone out to check on them with my high powered flashlight, I've found an animal passing close by.

Sometimes its just a cat, dog, or a deer, and sometimes its a coyote, coon or possum, but 100 percent of the time that this has happened since I started paying attention to it there has been an animal close by.

I have to wonder if they are sending up a warning.

8. invertaman

invertaman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Indiana
    ALL day EVERY day! [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I never hear mine before 8-9 a.m....sometimes later..i think it cause he's use to being let out of the coop at those times in the morning, never earlier.....so maybe he thinks thats when morning is?...[​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine crows around 6am and then again whenever another one crows, and then again when he is irritated and then again when he wants something and then again at dusk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by