What time of day do chickens drink the most water?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Henrik Petersson, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    I was just reading up on turkey keeping, and stumbled upon this factoid:

Quote: Chickens are closely related and similar in many respects to turkeys, so does the same apply to chickens? I've never thought about the fact that chickens might drink more or less during certain times of the day, but I guess that it makes sense that they would drink more right after they wake up (we're all a bit dehydrated when we wake up, right?)

It would be good to know, because if the do drink more in the morning, I might start to take extra care to put fresh water in the pen every night after chicken bed time.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Not sure, but I keep water 24/7 in the coop and in the run.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

Same here I keep a waterer and a feeder in the coop, but my coop is big & tall, keeps the humidity under control. Pop door is always open to the run, have 3 waterers and feeders in there all the time, one heated.

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    They must have water, even more so if they are confined and eating dry feed. I always keep 2 waterers just in case one gets funky or empty without me noticing it.
    And I like to fill the water at night so the chorine will evaporate by morning.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mine go after water within first four hours of day. First concern is sealing rank order and for males to mate hens.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I understand what your asking...;)......Yes, I always change out the water in the evenings..Then they have fresh every morning when they wake up..:).....

Cheers!

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I noticed that my peafowl will drink lots of water right after they lay an egg, which is almost always at dusk. Not saying chickens will do the same, but maybe? I don't know... Either way, fresh water 24/7 is ideal.

9. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    Thank you for the replies!

They always have water, I was just wondering whether I should take extra care to keep it clean in the morning.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by