What time of day do chickens generally lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ladies4, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Ladies4

Ladies4 New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    I am anxiously awaiting my first eggs and I've been told they lay first thing in the morning. Is this true or will they lay at random times throughout the day? Since my four Easter Eggers share two nesting boxes, how do they work this out? Also, will they ever bother/peck each others eggs? Thanks for the info..

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

HA! If that were the case I would be such a happy girl. I have some that lay in the morning, some early afternoon, and I have two that lay between 4 and 5 pm... Yeah... SO...

You have 2 nest boxes, you'll be fine. Don't be surprised if they all use the same nest box either. Don't be surprised to see two in a nest box at a time. They really won't care....
    [​IMG]
    There are already two chickens in the nest box and a third is working on joining them...

No, they won't pick each others eggs. Usually, they will move the egg underneath themselves while they are sitting to lay. Weird, but...

3. Ladies4

Ladies4 New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks! I've also been told that they make quite a racket when they lay - is this true?

4. Saintboondocks

Saintboondocks New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    We just got our first egg from our EEs two days ago and our second egg today. Both of them (from the same hen I believe) were laid mid day.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Some do get loud, some don't... The first time you hear the egg song, you might jump out of the chair thinking bloody murder is being committed. Lol, but its not to bad.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Mine lay at various times through the day. I have 10 boxes and only 6 pullets at this point. I have one favorite box that 3 of them will take turns using. Unless the #2 girl decides to sit for a while then the other 2 will use one of the other ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by