1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What time of day do hens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by playhousechickens, Oct 29, 2009.

1. playhousechickens

playhousechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Olalla, Washington
    Just curious what time of day hen's generally lay? Have a possible egg eater (to soon to know, as I've only found one shell), so I want to know when I should be checking the hen house...Thanks:D

2. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Mine never lay at the same time each day. They get a little later each day and then start all over in the morning.
    I typically don't see any after about 4pm.

3. playhousechickens

playhousechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Olalla, Washington
    My hens don't really go in their coop during the day, as they free range. Does this mean they will start laying outside? Will they lay at after dark if I turn on their light?

4. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Mine free-range, but their feed is in the coop. They check in often for food.
    They could lay outside. Mine have.

If you have the time and the weather is good, you may need to sit outside with a good book and watch them.

I don't add lights, but I doubt they would lay that late.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Mine all lay before about 5 p.m.

6. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    My generally lay by early afternoon. (8:00 am - 2:00 p.m.)

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My girls just started laying in August and so far their pattern is to lay mid-morning to late afternoon.

By the time I get home at 5P everyone has laid & eggs are cool.

If I'm home on the weekend I can pick up an egg still warm before noon.

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't usually lay after dark in my experience, I suppose there could be an exception here and there...

If they don't go inside during the day, yes, they may start making a nest out in the shrubbery somewhere... either watch them, OR, leave them locked in for a few days if you are pretty sure they are laying. Are you hearing bursts of long noisy 'announcement' bawk bawk BaG-GAWKKKKings? That could be them announcing that they just delivered breakfast for you!

Put some decoy round things in the nest boxes and leave them indoors till noon or so, see if they use the nests or a corner of the coop. Otherwise, you'll have to watch them carefully and/or follow them to see if they're setting on a jungle nest.

You can get wooden eggs at hatchery stores, marble eggs, hard golf balls, use plastic easter eggs, but fill them with sand or putty or plaster of paris so they are heavier, or you can mark grocery store eggs and leave a couple out there.... that last can be a little iffy, but it'll work as long as they don't get broken. Of course if they do turn up 'gone' you'll know you have an egg eater too.

9. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually my EE is after noon and before 5:00 pm. My BA just started, and seems to be around the same time frame.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Mine are late day layers, I don't collect eggs until after 4:00 pm.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by