1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What time of day do turkeys lay?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by NYRIR, Mar 2, 2012.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Is there a particular time , like early morning, late afternoon etc? I have yet to find one turkey egg this year. My Narragansetts are 8-9 months old. Is this typical? The weather here has been nuts....warm then cold...warm, then snow! I just wondered if that makes a difference?? Thanks for any help....

2. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    My Narragansett's started laying the 2nd week in January. They are 8 months. I have already hatched 2 out.

3. ruralmom

ruralmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    My Beltville whites started laying 3 weeks ago and we are no where near spring. I have to check the two nests at least daily or they freeze solid. I think the two hen are on alternate days so I get about a egg a day. They fly out of their enclosure and go lay and we track their footprints in the snow and found out where the nests were. Both the hens lay in the afternoon.

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Where are you from? I am at about 1450 feet elevation....I think I need to do some turkey egg hunting tomorrow...

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Will have to do that!

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    It also goes by daylight length, the further north you go the later it will be when they start laying. My 9 month old turkey in the hen house has been laying, but I had lights going for a while to get the chickens producing. The 3 year old turkeys don't have lights and haven't started yet.

7. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Thanks, maybe that's it....I haven't seen them mate yet either...but given the weather I am not outside much right now....

8. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    Alabama

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I think mine lay before noon. :/

10. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    my rp has been laying for a few months and lays whenever she feels like it, even at night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by