What time of day do you think is best to feed your Free Range birds and why? POLL&Comments

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hannah11, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Early Morning

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Mid Morning

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Lunch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Early Afternoon

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Afternoon

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Evening

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  7. Other

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. More Than once a day

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    I am just curious as to what times everyone thinks is best for free range birds and why?
    I feed around 4pm in the summer and around 2pm in winter. I just assumed it would encourage better foraging resulting in less feed needed.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They have free choice and they also go into where the ducks feed is(they are all on the same feed), i don't find this effects foraging whatsoever!

3. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    I have only considered having a permanent feeder once, and I found that some of my birds never left the area.... they were ex commercial production so maybe that had something to do with it. but lucky you, that your girls don't stop foraging :)

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Hmm, maybe? my girls happily run to the gate to be let out lol they can fly back in anytime.. but they love to be out and about, i honestly think they eat most of the feed in the AM before they are let out that is in their coop, they have access to that all day too. My ducks are the same they will eat but go off everywhere...

5. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I use fermented feed and feed them once in the morning and once in the evening myself. Doing FF and free range has really cut back on the amount of feed needed.

6. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Hmm maybe I should re-think my arrangements, my girls don't get shut in at night and some even sleep in the trees...
    Its funny the Ex-battery girls just sit at my front door most of the day :) especially when I first was doing morning feeds, now they go explore and stuff a bit more :)

I would love ducks they seem like they have loads of character, but I think that a pond is not in the picture at the moment VERY Jealous!

I have herd really good things about fermented feed especially for meat birds... I think you have prompted a little research.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I think it is best to feed free-range chickens in the evening. When you put the feed out and call them in, it is easier to put them back in the coop. Also, when you open the coop in the morning they will be hungry and will start free ranging to find food. This will help reduce the amount of feed they will eat in the evening.

The average laying hen eats about 4 ounces of feed per day. If just starting, I would provide half that amount of feed to each free-range hen. Then you can adjust feed based on how fast they are eating their feed and the time of year. Obviously in winter Chickens will need more feed because there is less to eat on the ground.

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh, yeah no the girls all go into their coop at night(they move in on their own at dusk) and we do a headcount close the door(they have a ramp and a little chicken door) Ya, know just to be an enabler, you don't need a pond for ducks, i don't have one and i have 3 different breeds. I use kiddy pools and troughs for water sources. [​IMG]

9. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Some chicken breeds are better at foraging than others. If you want good foragers that lay lots of eggs and can fly to get away from predators, I would suggest Brown Leghorns.

And if you want some ducks, you just need to get a little kids' wading pool. Ducks don't have to have a pond. But ducks can be messy.

10. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Your Idea is similar to mine I was starting to think mine might starve [​IMG], I usually only give a tiny bit more in winter as i don't get frosts and all the leaves of the winter veges go to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by