What time of day do you usually see hawks hunting your chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joan1708, Jan 31, 2014.

1. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Seems to me, I see them mostly in the mornings. What is your experience?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have noticed hawks about at various times of the day. There does not seem to be a distinct pattern.

Chris

3. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    It tend to see them in the morning too.

4. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I see hawks all the time where I live. Morning through afternoon they are soaring around waiting to get one of my birds (who are in an enclosed run). They usually go away around 4 pm, however you can never trust them. With my luck a hawk would come and scoop up one of my birds if I left them unattended, regardless of the hour. The only time that I don't see hawks is on cloudy/rainy days, otherwise they are out year round.

5. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    We saw a pair of red tails soaring around our yard today around 1:30 in the afternoon, a pair of ravens chased them away after about 10 minutes. I've seen them at all times of the day, though. We were out with our chicken while letting them free-range, but I put them back in their covered run after I saw the hawks.

6. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

All hours of the day.
    Morning soaring around.
    Afternoon soaring around.
    Attack on hen attempted near end of day.

They're never safe, watch your flock & eyes to the sky. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Yep, I saw hawks again today. They were flying further to the north, but I still kept an eye on them. They KNOW we have chickens and are pretty sneaky.[​IMG]

8. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    hawks all day long off and on. the hawks are now taking doves from my bird feeder.spotted eagles a month ago.two types of owls, but girls are locked in at night. oh and falcon during the day at any time also. waiting for spring when the osprey arrives,sigh. I need a better enclosed run.

9. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    They will hunt from sun up to sun down.

10. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I have never given a hawk a meal, but I think they have seen my birds and now they come by daily (I see them in the morning) just to see if they are out. The hawk that I see is small, a little smaller than a pigeon but I guess it could still kill my silkies. So, now I have to build them a bigger run and move a small apple tree. But it also seems to me that no matter how big the run is, the hens would rather be out in the yard! Since I now have patrolling hawks around, I only let my girls out for a few hours 3 x/week and I'm watching for hawks the whole time. Bummer!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by