1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What time of day do your Hens Lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joe.G, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    My Hens lay in around 11:00AM all of them lay about the same time, What time do yours lay? Is it normal for them to lay at this time?

2. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    mine lay at all time during the day I have one that lays before 7 o'clock in the morning and one that lays late in afternoon I this it just depends one the hen but i have seen a few lay at the same time during the day

3. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Will they come back into to lay once I start to let them free range?

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have 31 hens and they lay all day long. Some times in the evening too. They do come back to lay when they free range.

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I have 5 and they just started laying ( I think 3 are currently laying)

One lays every morning around 7am, and in the same cozy spot in the nest box, the other one lays all afternoon and even after she's in for the night as I find a very cold egg the next morn on coop floor. My third started laying Tuesday afternoon, and then again today mid morning.

6. meshellrose

meshellrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Arkansas
    one of mine lays right around 11, the other one when she did lay would lay early in the morning..I'm hoping the others start laying soon.

7. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Mine started laying about five weeks ago. At first they seemed to lay about anytime during the day. Now they seem to lay mainly in morning and are finished by 1:00 pm but in reality I think chickens lay anytime during the day. I had chicken several years ago and I don't remember them laying at any certain time.

8. tinalibnania

tinalibnania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    I have 14 goofballs that either all try to squish in the same nest box at the same time or will lay all times of the day......go figure [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I get some Big eggs and some little eggs, I am not sure who is laying what. How long does it take for them to lay an egg?

10. bird boy

bird boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    I am pretty sure that a chicken lays eggs about and hour earlier each day and then repeats the cycle if interrupted by the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by