What time of year is best for chicks?

jolenesdad

┑( ̄▽ ̄)┍
7 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
Ive heard different things about chicks at different times of year. Chicks that mature late in the year lay larger eggs, chicks not born in the spring are weaker, etc.

What kinds of things like that have you heard, and what’s your favorite time of year to raise your own chicks, and why?

I'm curious what else have you heard.
Those two are ridiculously untrue.

I raise chicks year round.
Spring is good since that's when most are looking to buy so I can get the best price on my surplus and they sell easier.
Summer is good because I use bulbs in brooders and with the heat I can turn them way down or off and save on electric bill.
Fall is good because then they hit point of lay in spring and I don't have to raise them so long before getting eggs.
Winter is...... Ok I hatch and raise all winter but I just hate winter so nothing is fun.

I prefer hatching from March til July, late July can be too late for me. April is best, I hate having to keep heat on the chickens in fall or winter. Made the mistake of doing a few winter hatches, never again.

Also I've bought some nice stock at fall chicken shows from breeders trying to cut back. This gives them a good 4 or 5 months to settle in their new home so they are laying well comes time to incubate in spring. Though now I just prefer to hatch my own chicks or buy from a hatchery to avoid contaminating my flock with diseases.

I'm curious what else have you heard.
Those two are ridiculously untrue.

I raise chicks year round.
Spring is good since that's when most are looking to buy so I can get the best price on my surplus and they sell easier.
Summer is good because I use bulbs in brooders and with the heat I can turn them way down or off and save on electric bill.
Fall is good because then they hit point of lay in spring and I don't have to raise them so long before getting eggs.
Winter is...... Ok I hatch and raise all winter but I just hate winter so nothing is fun.

I feel like I read about pullets maturing later in the year having larger eggs. Perhaps I’ve confused that with pullets that take longer to start laying generally lay larger eggs than early layers? Have I understood that correctly?

Simple for me spring is better the weather is nicer. A healthy chic will thrive as long as you have protection for them from bigger chickens from cold and drafts and dampness or wet. A good quality feed and clean fresh water and if it’s not already naturally in their environment..grit.
I got this years chicks in April and all have been laying. Depends on breed some lay sooner than others. Best wishes

My first Flock of chickens (6 Golden Comets) were bought as day old chicks on March 30, 2016.
One chick was lost on day 4. The five that survived started to lay at 4 months to the day and all were laying at 19 weeks. 3 survive today. 2 hens give me 10 - 12 eggs a week, 1 retired from laying at 24 months.

My second Flock (7 Barred Rocks) were bought as day old chicks on August 16, 2018.
All survive, but 1 has a neck problem and is the runt.
They have been off the heat lamp since week four.
They have survived two nights in the mid 20s Fahrenheit in the past week, was low 30s in the coop.
For my climate I would not want to get day old chicks after August 15.
I am hoping they will start to lay around 5 months, (middle of January). We shall see. GC

Back
Top Bottom