What Time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rose66, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    This may be a crazy question but in general, what time of day does a chicken lay its egg? Morning or afternoon or can they lay an egg pretty much any time of the daylight hours? And then does that particular chicken pretty much always lay at that same time or does it vary from day to day? Thanks!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Rose66

I think it varies by chicken, by breed and by day. One of my books says the start-to-finish egg production process takes 25-hours. My Golden Comet lays daily first thing. Usually. Generally by 9 she has completed her egg laying. Some of my others vary. Most often though, it seems that they have all produced their eggs by noon to 1.

It will be interesting to see what answers you get from the forum on this question.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My birds lay all day long. I have some that will lay an egg in the late afternoon.

4. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Morning- late afternoon. mostly morning![​IMG]

5. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    By noon...[​IMG]

6. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Never been a great believer in the "25 hour" cycle. If it were so the egg laying would move on one hour per day, hence my girls would not be laying at the same time of day, which they do. One of my girls lays through the night, two others lay before 10, as for the marans, when they feel like it, lol!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by