What to breed with my EE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I have a white EE that i want to breed but i want a real color not just a mixed color, and i want them to be smaller to.

Her she is,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I like to cross a barred rooster with my EEs and Ameraucanas. Then you get chicks that all have barring, both males and females. When you say smaller, you mean a banty rooster?

3. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Well i wanted to use a bantam roo but i wanted to use what i have instead of buying something [​IMG] I have a GL Polish LF roo, and a red silkie roo. In a couple of months i will be getting some dun, black and maybe blue bantam sumatras and hopefully some lavender, blue silver DW, blue gold DW, and black and maybe 1 or 2 more diff colors of bantam phoenix, and i will be getting the sumatras and phoenix in straight run chicks so idk what color roosters i will get [​IMG] but would any of those colors make a good mix with the white EE? or maybe together?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If I were you, I'd cross her with the Polish. I've done it before, and the blue (or green) color of the EE retains pretty well. Plus, chances are you'll either get a white laced red bird or a partial golden laced looking bird. (And a crest too!)

5. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    I like the white laced red, but theres one problem, SHE DOESNT LAY BLUE OR GREEN EGGS!!!!! THERE A WHITE to off white in color. is that just because she just started to lay or will they always be that color?

6. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    They will always be that color. If you want colored eggs in the offspring, breed her to an Ameraucana!

I made a couple of EEs last year with a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo over a couple of brown egg laying hens. The pullets I got from that cross lay BROWN eggs, even though they have a very strong EE look to them (beard, muffs, pea comb, etc). Pretty disappointing, thought hey did turn out pretty. Those EEs I'm now going to breed to a splash Ameraucana roo, and the offspring had better lay blue or green eggs! lol

Here are my two brown egg-laying EEs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Do you know the genetic background of your EE?

8. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Nope, i got her from a hatchery i think in march 2010. She has been laying every day. She is all white with from my point of view no leakage. someone told me that what ever i breed her with the chicks will always be white, is that true? cuz i hate white (except for on silkies) cuz they allways get dirty

9. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I have a big EE hen that looks just like yours......
    She does lay greenish eggs though.
    Wonder if they are part Leghorn??????????

10. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Then your roo wasn't an Ameraucana - not a pure, must have been an EE. Because a purebred Ameraucana is homozygous for the blue egg gene. Doesn't really matter, you got some gorgeous girlies!

Or, are you sure that they are laying brown? They could by hiding their eggs somewhere. My EE's LOVE to do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by