What to charge for free-range organic chicken?

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
We are in Iowa, so anyone from the area who can tell me what they pay/get for theirs would be helpful. I have spent a small fortune in organic feed already, and I am beginning to think my "million dollar chickens" might be a hard sell....

I am experimenting with organic meat birds too. I pre-advertised the meat, and told everyone that it would be about $3/lb, and then the birds are sold whole. No one blinked an eye at the price. So i tried to get them all spoken for before I butcher them. I have an organic produce CSA business, so most are linked with that, but even at church a lot of people are very interested! Good luck!
Oh, I am in MI

Quote:
My intital response to your question was - a lot
Many people go nuts over organic anything and will pay out the nose to get it. Now I dont mean the average farm or rural person. They already have all the "organic" they want.
No, Im talking about the city folks; the college educated, Lexus driving, Starbucks sippin' crowd. That oughta tell you where the best place to set up is....

In this line, I suggest you add up your costs and KNOW what each bird represents in terms of time and money to produce. Then add on a reasonable markup. You are basically an producer, and a retailer, combined.
The time tested method is to cover costs and add a profit. 20-30% is not unreasonable.

Some other options that come to mind:

- Call a few other sellers and ask. That would give you a baseline, of sorts.

- Or you could visit them at the farmers market and ask what their bird costs. Then hang around awhile and see if anyone actually BUYS them at that price.

- You could also just ask potential buyers, "What'll you give?"
That opens the door to negotiation if they low-ball you.
If they offer a fair price outright, then you make the sale and give them TWO of your business cards.
Shake their hand, tell them thanks - and make sure they know to tell their friends.

Someone is doing organic near me and he's at $4.85 per lb.

I'm at $3.75 per lb conventional; although I feed them a certified vegetarian feed which is a little pricier than the cheapest broiler ration I can get.

Hello,

I can tell you this much, I have a lady that buys 3000 "yes that's right 3000" Cornish from every year and she raises them organically and when she told me what she gets I almost fainted "not really but I did think about it lol"

She gets $4.99 per pound "WOW" "see what I mean" and she raises them until they dress between 5-7 lbs each

8-9 weeks total

That's $25.00 -$35.00 per chicken that's an average of $90,000 a year, of coarse that's not all profit but well more than half is.

She also pre-sales all of the chickens before they are even bought from me as chicks, that's the one sure way to run a business without going broke!

I know this is in NC but I don't think the price should fluctuate much between the states.

Good Luck!!!
Roger

Last edited:
I personally find people are more willing to buy a chicken if it costs $20 or under. So, I would raise them a bit smaller. Chicken will forever be viewed as 'cheap' food, suitable to feed 2 people for 1 meal. It's very hard to get people to realize you can have leftovers from a large bird, or use the carcass for soup/stock.

One person at a time.

Strong arm and force feed. That's what I say!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom