1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to charge for free-range organic chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moenmitz, Jul 2, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    We are in Iowa, so anyone from the area who can tell me what they pay/get for theirs would be helpful. I have spent a small fortune in organic feed already, and I am beginning to think my "million dollar chickens" might be a hard sell....

2. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    I am experimenting with organic meat birds too. I pre-advertised the meat, and told everyone that it would be about $3/lb, and then the birds are sold whole. No one blinked an eye at the price. So i tried to get them all spoken for before I butcher them. I have an organic produce CSA business, so most are linked with that, but even at church a lot of people are very interested! Good luck!
    Oh, I am in MI

3. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks Lazy Girl , good to know! Anyone else?

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:My intital response to your question was - a lot
    Many people go nuts over organic anything and will pay out the nose to get it. Now I dont mean the average farm or rural person. They already have all the "organic" they want.
    No, Im talking about the city folks; the college educated, Lexus driving, Starbucks sippin' crowd. That oughta tell you where the best place to set up is....

In this line, I suggest you add up your costs and KNOW what each bird represents in terms of time and money to produce. Then add on a reasonable markup. You are basically an producer, and a retailer, combined.
    The time tested method is to cover costs and add a profit. 20-30% is not unreasonable.

Some other options that come to mind:

- Call a few other sellers and ask. That would give you a baseline, of sorts.

- Or you could visit them at the farmers market and ask what their bird costs. Then hang around awhile and see if anyone actually BUYS them at that price.

- You could also just ask potential buyers, "What'll you give?"
    That opens the door to negotiation if they low-ball you.
    If they offer a fair price outright, then you make the sale and give them TWO of your business cards.
    Shake their hand, tell them thanks - and make sure they know to tell their friends.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Someone is doing organic near me and he's at $4.85 per lb.

I'm at $3.75 per lb conventional; although I feed them a certified vegetarian feed which is a little pricier than the cheapest broiler ration I can get.

6. shookpoultry

shookpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    Claremont, NC
    Hello,

I can tell you this much, I have a lady that buys 3000 "yes that's right 3000" Cornish from every year and she raises them organically and when she told me what she gets I almost fainted "not really but I did think about it lol"

She gets $4.99 per pound "WOW" "see what I mean" and she raises them until they dress between 5-7 lbs each

8-9 weeks total

That's $25.00 -$35.00 per chicken that's an average of $90,000 a year, of coarse that's not all profit but well more than half is.

She also pre-sales all of the chickens before they are even bought from me as chicks, that's the one sure way to run a business without going broke!

I know this is in NC but I don't think the price should fluctuate much between the states.

Good Luck!!!
    Roger

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Like I said: A LOT

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I personally find people are more willing to buy a chicken if it costs $20 or under. So, I would raise them a bit smaller. Chicken will forever be viewed as 'cheap' food, suitable to feed 2 people for 1 meal. It's very hard to get people to realize you can have leftovers from a large bird, or use the carcass for soup/stock.

One person at a time.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Strong arm and force feed. That's what I say! [​IMG]

10. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:Yes, chicken fois gras and chicken veal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by