What to charge per lb for various poultry?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by r4eboxer, Mar 12, 2012.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    It seems I have a market for my duck, goose and chicken meat before I even have them available. I have people lining up wanting my birds as soon as I can get them grown out. I am finding the same thing with eggs, I haven't even advertised or put out a sign and I have people getting in line for them. So I am wondering what is a good price for duck and goose meat. I have an idea about the chickens but no clue about the duck and goose.

I know it is going to depend on my area but I'd like to hear what some of you charge per lb.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Just a suggestion that you check with a local meat market or specialty market or a local CSA to see what they charge and then if you are handling the birds differently - as in organic feed, or pasture raised, then you would want to adjust for that as well.

We hope that there will be a commercial multi purpose processing plant in our area soon so we can serve the public in a similar fashion. Great success in your venture.

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'd start by figuring out your costs per bird, and then add at least a couple bucks or a percentage to it to make it profitable.

4. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I can tell you that here at the grocery store duck is sold for $20+ total.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The only place I've seen geese is at a store that brags about their low prices and the geese were in the neighborhood of $60 apiece. I think they were $5.95 a pound. That's a lot cheaper than any place else I've heard of.

My home grown geese only weighed slightly more but appeared to be about 50% bigger. But I wasn't including giblets or neck, and mine weren't injected with water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by