What to cross with White Plymouth Rocks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TheHappyHen21, Mar 6, 2017.

1. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    I raise black jersey giants and also light brahma. I'm planning on purchasing white Plymouth rock pullets, what can they be crossed with for a decent meat bird? Like to use what I have. I butchered my brahma roos last year and they didn't have much breast meat, there not hatchery birds.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't believe any of the dual purpose birds have any thickness to breast. It really takes a Cornish for that double thick breast. If you get a hold of a good strain they don't need to be crossed. Fella on here was getting 4lbs dressed in 14-15 weeks with a nice line, red laced maybe? Can't remember.

3. Bigshooter

Bigshooter Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Washington
    I have found white rocks to have a bigger breast than any other dual purpose I have raised. They don't have a huge breast like cx but it isn't super skinny. They are also one of my favorites to fry.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Cross with Dorking, Indian game, or Cornish. Maybe Favorelles or Buff Orpingtons. Best, Karen

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have used American Games (male) crossed over White Plymouth Rocks and got very well muscled birds from a free-range setting. Chicks where incubated and reared by game hens. They benefit well from supplemental feeding. They are heavy enough to have difficulties getting onto roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by