What To Do About a Cracked Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mkr, Apr 20, 2012.

1. mkr

mkr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Hello,
    This is my second time hatching. It's day 16 and I have 24 eggs. I noticed this morning that one egg appears to have a hairline crack in it. This wouldn't worry me, except that I also saw a small drop of liquid rolling down the side of the egg. I have not candled it and the crack is so small that, if it weren't for the bead of liquid, I would think it was just a discoloration on the shell. I did search the forum but all the 'cracked egg' questions seemed to deal with either severe cracks or ones that weren't leaking. Is this egg done? Should I leave it in and see what happens? Candle it? Try to patch it? My main worry is that it will get infected and harm the other eggs. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my second lot of eggs in the incubator, so needless to say, I am new to this. If this was me, I'd go with my gut and I would personally try to patch the small crack to stop liquid coming out. Wonder if the liquid is the membrane? Also, once it's patched (don't know what to patch it with... some kind of tape? Masking tape maybe. Patch it like butterfly stitches?) I would candle it to see if the chick is alive. If not, - no movement or veins - then I would chuck the egg. Don't be tempted to open the egg to see if it was in fact dead or not, like I did. It just upset me more seeing it dead inside.
    If it's alive and patched up then put it back into the incubator. Maybe put a cardboard segment in to separate this egg from the other eggs in case it cracks more or infects the others. It may need help at hatch time. Keep updating! :)

Kelly.

3. mkr

mkr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I should add that I did candle it two days ago and it appeared to be growing. It is a brown egg and I don't have a very experienced eye. I saw a dark mass and a few veins and an air sack. I didn't see any movement. I have not candled it since discovering the crack.

4. mkr

mkr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I am also noticing a smell from the incubator. It's not a bad smell exactly but it is distinctly 'eggy'. Is this normal? I mean, they are eggs. Sorry for so many questions.

5. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    GET IT OUT OF THE INCUBATOR! If it is smelling, it will explode soon, and contaminate the rest of your eggs! BTDT. Do NOT try to save this egg. Once you can smell it, it's over for that egg.

6. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a shame you haven't got another incubator for it to go in away from your other eggs. Or build one using a box/cupboard and a lamp? I don't know, maybe it is over for this egg if it's starting to smell.

7. mkr

mkr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I just pulled it out. When I got it out of the incubator I realized it was actually pretty smelly. I did candle it. Something was in there but I didn't see any veins or movement. The crack was thin but pretty long and there was a lot of liquid on the shell. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good hatch on Wednesday for the rest of them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by