1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do about an aggressive female

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Clamroyal, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Clamroyal

Clamroyal New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Hello!

I was hoping to get some advice about a problem I have been having with a cayuga (Freckles) I adopted last spring. I have no idea of her age, but if i had to guess she's more than 2 years old. She lives with three runners (aged almost 2 years), one of which is male (Duke). She's always been on the bossy side, and I have put her in her own house at night for short spans when she gets too rowdy with nipping at the girls feet. About a month ago, she started relentlessly chasing, and biting the necks of the other females (Nell and Marmalade), whilst giving them a good shaking. Freckles has been separated, but still in visible contact with the rest of the flock for the past month. Freckles does not attack Duke, and if I don't put her in the same house as him she quacks all night. Now the other girls quack all night if Duke isn't with them. I'm hesitant to bring home another drake, as I thought I had a good ratio, but I don't want to drive the neighbors (or myself) crazy with all the late night quacking! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I had a problem with a bully chicken hen in the past and a member with animal training skills suggested I try a spray of water every time she acted up - my "Bully Blaster" and it worked immediately. But since ducks like water it may not help, but doubt Freckles would like getting a squirt in the face. Inexpensive to try. But you have to catch her in the act and immediately squirt her.

3. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Life is too short, re-home her or eat her. I wonder why she was re-homed to you?

Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear [​IMG]

Gary

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    @sunflour may be on to something. It may be worth a try.

5. Clamroyal

Clamroyal New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Thanks! Freckles does not like water actually, so I'll give it a try today!

6. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Keep us updated!

7. Clamroyal

Clamroyal New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Blasting her with the hose gets her to stop momentarily, so maybe a few more days of it and she'll give up. [​IMG]

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Do you have a cage/dog crate? If yes, then try putting her in there for a time out immediately after the blast from the hose.

You'll have to continue often and hope she learns the connection of being bad = blasted and jailed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by