What to do about bad laying habits or is it something else?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dotknott, Dec 13, 2016.

1. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Howdy folks.

Sunday afternoon my husband called me from the coop.. asking if we were missing any ceramic eggs. I told him that one had gone missing about a year ago, but other than that none had gone missing recently. I headed out to see what was up and he pointed out something that DEFINITELY looked like an egg, small dab in the middle of the stream, about 6 ft away and 2 ft underwater. After a bit of back and forth, with him deciding that it was obviously the ceramic egg that went missing some time ago, he grabbed a stick and started to roll it along the stream bed. About 2 ft away from the shore he smacked it pretty hard and found that it was the real deal.

Fast forward to this morning. I relent, after having the ducks on house arrest for laying eggs in the stream, and let them out. They immediately run to the stream and start their playing/bathing/preening/courtship rituals. As I’m sitting there watching, I realize that there’s another egg in the water. This ones much closer, so I grab a hand rake from the shed and try to fish it out with out falling in (successfully!) The one I pulled out this AM looks like it had been there for a while, unless bloom does weird things when it only has contact with water..

So.. What are my options to remedy this? It appears that I either have a duck that lays in the stream, or I have a bumbling egg thief that is dropping eggs that laid in the coop during the day and STOLEN. How do I id the actual issue? Ideas are VERY welcome!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In my experience ducks have generally laid in the morning. Keeping them penned until noon might solve this problem.

3. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
  4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess is someone just likes to lay in the water...I found a rubber egg in the ducks' pool this summer, but that was an anomaly. I recently found, at morning feeding, that a hen had dropped an egg right by the food bowl, too.

In my experience, sometimes they just do those kinds of strange things. :confused:

5. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    I agree with sourland, keep the duckies penned until the egg is layed. I had almost the same issue with my pekin. Now she lays in the coop ritually before she comes out. You would be surprised how easily u can get them set on a schedule.

6. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Let's keep this to the other thread please. If there's an Admin around, I'd like to lock this one if possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by