what to do about chickens eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by molly, May 16, 2010.

1. molly

molly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    I went out to the coop today started feeding my chickens and went to get the egg and the chickens had it. Is there something I can do or something I can get to help them from not doing this?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Egg eating can be a tough problem to stop. People have used blown out eggs filled with liquid soap, mustard, horseradish. Also try putting fake eggs in the nests, or golf balls, ping/pong balls. Make sure the nests are dark. Collect eggs often so they are not a temptation. I had some success with rearranging the coop to shake things up. Also it might be due to a lack of protein in the diet.

Good luck,
    Imp

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    One up their protien and start feeding scrambled or hardboiled eggs... Two you can put egg shaped rocks int he nest box after they peck them a couple times they should stop breaking eggs..

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Molly, it seems to me that it is the nest, not the eggs, that are "sacred" to a chicken. If the egg shows up outside a nest, it will be ignored at best, or eaten.

First, never allow the nestboxes to be used for roosting. That is not the purpose for a nest. My first experience with egg eating and roosting in the nestbox came at the same time [​IMG].

Try to make your nestboxes inviting for the purpose intended. Site the box away from other activities. Nice, clean nesting material is important.

I have the opening to the nestbox covered with fabric. The hens quickly learn to push their way in. If there was any egg eating going on, it would be simple to substitute the light material with something that would keep the interior of the box completely dark. That seems to be a solution many folks have found for egg-eating chickens -- if they can't see it, they won't eat it. But, the hens will still use a completely darkened nestbox for laying.

Here is Wishing You the Best of Luck.

Steve

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I was once told feeding protien causes egg eating, BOY WAS THAT WRONG! none of my hens ate eggs, I've been generous with the protien & calcium rich foods.

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    If shells are a little weak, especially on the pointy end which is the end that comes out first, a shell can crack or be crushed when laid, depending on the force the hen uses to eject the egg and how much nesting material was there. Once it's crushed, even a little, an egg can leak. And a cracked & leaking egg is an OPEN invitation to the flock.

If you suspect weak shells, make sure you calcium supplement, especially if they eat stuff besides their layer feed - like forage or treats - that may need to be balanced with calcium. Make sure, too, that your nests have lots of nesting material, to cushion the lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by