What to do about Coccidosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoveThemBirds, Mar 15, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Ok,I have two hens who are sitting extremely too much.I'm thinking it's Cocci.

Question:What do I do about it?

I gave them Probiotics because they were all sneezing like heck.I know if they have resporitory disease,Probiotics(Strawberry flavor),and Vet Rx really hits the spot.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    What would happen if you mixed in some medicated chick feed in with what you already feed with it. Many medicated chick feeds have amprolium in it, a coccidiostat.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you think they have coccidiosis, get some Corid and treat for a severe outbreak:

Dosing Picture
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    If it is just Resporitory infection/disease,woyld it still hurt to add the liquid,just in case?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No, it's safe to use, just don't mix and other meds in the water.

-Kathy

6. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Ok.

Does this sound like Cocci:Breathing heavy,stretching a bunch,and pale combs,Also,she is sitting down more then usual,it has been hot here in Missouri,maybe she is just hot?

7. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Where might I buy Corid meds at?I will stock up on the liquid and mix the powder in with the water.Also the hen is acting sleeping and shutting here eyes.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    From what you describe about sneezing and heavy breathing along with stretching the neck, it sounds more like a respiratory disease. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, diarrhea or blood in the droppings, poor eating and drinking, standing puffed up, and ruffled feathers. I would only treat with Corid for those symptoms. If you think your chicken has a respiratory problem, then separate it, and consider giving an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 orally or as a shot, or oxytetracycline in the water.

1 person likes this.
  9. UTAHEM

UTAHEM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    UT
    Does it hurt to treat the whole flock? I have a 9-11 week old chick that has blood in her stool. I don't know which one it is. Many say to isolate the chick, but I have no idea which one it is.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you are referring to using Corid to treat your whole flock; go ahead, no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by