What to do about Crippled Feet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by b4096, Jan 13, 2011.

1. b4096

b4096 New Egg

Jan 13, 2011
    We had a pretty good hatch of Cochin chicks, all are healthy and happy...with the exception of one gray hen. At first, it looked like she had been born with only 2 toes on each foot? When we got to checking her out it turns out that her legs are bowed inward and her outer third toe is tucked underneath her foot. I read where you can spread her toes out and fasten them to keep them that way. Hopefully in a few days it should correct itself? She eats good and chirps a lot, but lays down about 90% of the time, so the others are out-growing her...plus they step on her quite a bit too. Is there anything else I can do? I do not want to cull her! Thanks!

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Cut cardbord circles about a centameter longer than her feet all the way around. Use medacal tape to fasten her toes to the board. If card boadf is too heavy for her use stiff poster board. If the tape gets dirty change it daily if the board under her feet keeps soiling clean her feet with warm water and soap before reattaching her feet to the board. After a few days let her try to wali without the "shoes" and see if her toes curl in or stay straght.

Edited to say: Make shure before her toes are taped straight on the board so her toes look like a W except more foot like [​IMG]
    l

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Also might need to post ithis in the emergancy/diseses/and cures section [​IMG] i'm quite active there and so are lots of other people who are awsome with this kind of stuff [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by