What to do about Doe - too hot for a saddle!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jun 16, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have an injured hen isolated on the porch. She's allowed free access to the entire screened porch and I just sweep and scrape it off daily.

I take her outside as much as possible, but it's extremely hot right now and I can't stay outside for long. I can't let her out by herself because my young roo sees her and makes a beeline straight for her. I have her torn side bandaged with guaze and vet wrap, but I'm afraid he will tear her wound open again.

He can't be isolated, but even if he could it wouldn't do much good. Doe is liable to tangle with some of the other hens and again I worry about her wound.

They predicted 96 degrees for us yesterday, but it actually got up to 103 here on the farm; and that's without the heat index.

It's much too hot for Doe to wear a saddle so she can re-join her flock, no?

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Poor baby, sounds like she really needs the saddle.
    You may have to keep her seperated until she completely heals. So,,,,mind as well put her in a cozy nest box inside a doggy kennel and let her warm up some chicks to hatching. It would really make her happy while she heals. Oh and she would like breakfast in bed with side of cool treats. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Let it cool down some & this evening let her be with the flock & keep an eye on them. They might not pick on her bandage. Its worth a try. Good luck!! I have a saddle on one of mine & its super hot here.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. My temporary solution is that Doe is out free ranging with the flock this afternoon and TJ the roo is in her place on the porch. The big hens are good about watching out for predators without his help. I switched Doe's vet wrap to a flesh colored one, so you really can't see it's there. Hopefully the other hens won't be able to either.

If I had my d'rathers TJ would live on the porch and Doe could go back to her flock. That ain't happening with my DH working nights and TJ being a noisy little booger. He's sure if he crows long enough the girls will come to him. I hate teenage boys, of any species. [​IMG]

BooBoo, more chicks are not in my near future. [​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:That's what I would have done, Kat. He'll be fine for the afternoon and Doe gets some exercise. Win-win situation.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I put the saddle on at night (then leave it on), its 94-104*F here on any given day (I have two saddled neither showing any more trouble regulating temp then the rest), the saddles protect form sunburn and spur damage... they regulate much of their heat through their feet and heads.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:Where's the devil smiley when ya need it!
    Mwaahahaha! You can never escape the Broodies! [​IMG]
    Impy is working on his take over with his army of Trahmas and needs more minions.

On a more serious note hope your girl heals up.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Where's the devil smiley when ya need it!
    Mwaahahaha! You can never escape the Broodies! [​IMG]
    Impy is working on his take over with his army of Trahmas and needs more minions.

On a more serious note hope your girl heals up.

I'm gonna try my darndest. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by