What to do about dried poop on feathers.... Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mags2009, Jan 22, 2010.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We have a barred rock that has LOTS of dried poop below her vent. the vent is open, but the clump of dried poop is quite large. Can we cut it off? I mean, I don't know if you can cut feathers or not. Its not that close to the skin. Please help. It's got to be uncomfortable for her.

Thank you

Kerry

2. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would set her down in a shallow pan of warm water and soak it off.

3. countrychics

countrychics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    warm water soak is correct.. and by adding shell or grit to a diet helps prevent some of this..and believe it or not, oatmeal about once a week is like a birdie laxative (gross i know) but its good for them... so is cornmeal!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    well, I seem to be doing everything correctly... I give them oatmeal with flax, grit and oystershell, but I guess we will try the soak. Just wondered if you could cut feathers or not, I mean if it would hurt them

5. countrychics

countrychics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    i would say not, as they have them plucked out anyway..lol...my guess is it would be just like a haircut!!!! or a shave prior to sugery!!!!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've not done it since my one girl was a chick. But I had to do the warm water soak in the sink AND cut the clump away. As long as you're careful with the cutting (I had my DH help), it won't hurt to trim the feathers in the area that keeps getting gunked up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by