What to do about honey bees in a bad spot?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I rent my apartment and recently noticed when I got back from a month long internship that honey bees seem to have made a hive under the floor boards of an outdoor storage closet. I was inside the closet putting stuff away and started to hear a ton of buzzing. When I turned around, they were flying everywhere at the entrance! I was able to walk out slowly and they weren't aggressive, but they really are in a bad spot. They are right near my apartment entrance and I cannot get under the floor to have someone move them. I do know how they are going in and out though.

It would kill me to kill them, as I really do like honey bees and they have not been aggressive even when I walked through them, but I can't risk having friends over who are allergic to bee stings. Do any of you guys have any ideas? Or is the only way to spray bee killer and block the entrance?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Is the storage unit your own that you have placed on the property or one that was there and belongs to your landlord? If it is the former you have a bit more leeway in how you deal with this than if it is the latter. For your own property I would suggest reaching out to local bee keepers in your area (there are several ways to find them) -- for the Landlord's property, though, you will need to contact them as any sort of "work" that has to be done to the storage unit to allow access to and removal of the bees will need to be done with their blessing. Unfortunately, having to involve them does take a certain degree of the control over who removes the bees and how will be lost to you.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It all is part of the apartment unit. It's really just a closet next to the front door that has outside access. I haven't told the landlord yet, but if I can't take care of it myself I will let them know. I think it says in the lease we are responsible for insect issues (which is dumb because sometimes insects come from other apartments...)

I may just try blocking the entrance where they are going in. They mostly come out when the door of the closet opens. They swarm, but not aggressively. It's just kind of a confused buzzing really, because they don't attack me.

Part of the problem is a bush that hasn't been trimmed all summer, which I am going to tell the landlord about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by