What to do about my chicken taker?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gersbud, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Well, I have been losing a girl every now and then and could never figure out where they were going. No sign of them, not even a feather. Well the other day low and behold I think I may have found my culprit and the bizarre thing is that he/she was about to make lunch out of my Goose decoy in the front yard. Who do you ask was this culprit. A frikkin bald eagle of all things to have take you girls. :( I miss my girls, I respect the eagle but common on. What do you do about a American icon like the bald eagle.
    [​IMG]

2. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    That's really a tough one, can you cover the run, keep them in the coup for a little while?

3. Gersbud

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I can not put them in a covered run at this time. They are in a small barn near my garage for the winter and it does not have a run. There main coop does but it has no electricity for a heat light or a heated water bucket for them. I wish it did.

4. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Can you lock them in the small barn,this thing has found easy food. It might be feeding young,or it's young itself.

5. Gersbud

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Yes I can lock them up, but I really hate having to do that. Right now when I let them out I keep an eye on them and when I hear the roos start screaming I put them up. unless the roo has them hiding under my outside wood burner. Warm place to hide anyway. thanks for the responses. I just had to post it, it really is unusual, at least for me

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Best option is to stand with them,but I know you can only do that so much. The chickens are easy pickings,and the bird will keep killing the easy prey till there is no more. I would recommend short term lock up in a garage,or even built a totally enclosed temp run like this one for cats...

http://www.just4cats.com/

Build the run.Once the eagle realises it can not get at the chickens anymore it will move on.Not like it is going to sit 24/7 on top and wish to eat the chicken.It will move on.Then you can let them free roam again.It happens again you have the run to secure them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by