What to do about new chicks ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigg, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bigg

bigg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tullahoma, TN
    My silkie Banty just hatched out six little fluff balls and i have no idea what to do should i bring them in the house or just leave them be. PLease help me find out what to do.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Depends on the weather where you are. They need to be kept warm wether by mom or brooder [​IMG]

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    the momma probably will take care of them....is there any way you can bring momma and chicks in some where...garage maybe??
    if it were me...i would bring the babies in and put them under a heat lamp!.....its cold outside!!!

4. bigg

bigg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tullahoma, TN
    They are in a fairly well insulated coop, but it is rather drafty. Its been pretty good weather here during the day time but at night it gets pretty cold and it just started raining.

5. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    I've got a similar situation in northeast Texas. I put mama + babies into an outdoor cage, put some straw down on the floor, hooked up a brooder lamp and put cardboard on the north side + some on the east and west sides to act as windbreaks. I hope it's enough....

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use a watermelon box i got from my local grocery store. I also have one of those boxes that are the same size that freezer pops come in. They work great.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. bigg

bigg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tullahoma, TN
    i Think ill do that tomorow, The eggs that i thought to be duds just hatched im so excited this is the firdt time ive had a hen to hatch eggs!

8. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    if you have access to electricity out in the garden put a heat lamp out there. in the coop i mean [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  9. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Quote:Cmom...you have some of the BEST ideas!! I know I don't always comment on them...but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by